FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA.com First Class Fare jumps when personal data is added?
Old Sep 8, 2015, 9:52 pm
jrobin

Programs: QF SG, AC, AA
AA.com First Class Fare jumps when personal data is added?

I hold a first class reservation for which I was charged a fare which is about CAD$40 higher than the $1167.30 fare which still appears on aa.com, but as aa.com would not allow the $1167.30 fare to be booked, and I found a co-operative AA reservations agent my reservation for over CAD1200 was made through AA telephone reservations.

Just to be clear, even after I was booked on this exact itinerary,
aa.com still shows a trip cost of CAD1167.30 ($1123 fare plus $44.30
taxes)

To see this problem, book the multi-city flight:
September 12 DTW-DFW 7pm First Class via ORD
September 13 DFW-YKF morning First Class via ORD
Resident of Canada so the charges are in Canadian dollars.

Select the DTW-ORD-DFW flights leaving DTW at 6:55pm, and the flights
DFW-ORD-YKF leaving DFW at 8:30am for $1167.30 CAD. (ORD-YKF is in Y.)

AA.com then states clearly that trip cost is CAD1167.30 ($1123 fare plus $44.30 taxes) and requests personal information.

Enter name etc. and press Continue, and the flight jumps in price, usually to about CAD1233 ($1189 fare plus $44.30 taxes) . It has done this for several days both before and after this flight was booked for me by AA reservations staff.

I cannot get anyone at aa.com to respond as to why I cannot purchase the flight for the amount first quoted. The explanation that the fare has gone up during the booking process because someone else booked those flights is not true, because the fare has been consistently quoted as between CAD1164 and CAD1167 for four days now and every time I enter personal data the fare jumps by about CAD66.

How can I find out what the issue is? Is there someone at aa.com I can contact? If I am consistently quoted a compete trip fare on aa.com, should I be able to purchase a ticket at that fare?

AA reservations have offered to refund the fare difference if I can verify an online fare with aa.com. On the phone, an aa.com agent saw the same thing I did but had no explanation or suggestion of why I am offered a lower fare which jumps part way through the process. I sent an email to aa.com and they just referred me back to AA reservations, who cannot see aa.com fares.

I appreciate that the $40 amount by which I may have been overcharged is not huge, but there is a principle that a fare offered should not jump unreasonably once a customer starts to commit to a set of flights, especially when it is not because the flights are selling out.

Thank you.