FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Multi-country Prepaid Mifi/Wireless Hotspot Solution
Old Sep 8, 2015, 9:12 pm
MDWCommuter

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by wco81
I would look at prices for an iPad mini 2 or mini 3 with cellular, if you find unlocked mifi devices are too expensive.

I think I paid about $100 for my Huawei some years ago. It's only 3G and it doesn't even support 3G in the US, only in Europe and probably Asia.

Battery life is poor, though the batteries can be swapped out and they're cheap. But configuring it is a hassle (you have to connect by Wifi and use a browser for the admin page to change the APN each time you switch SIMs).

Meanwhile, iPad mini 2 and newer (and full size iPads with cellular) support all the LTE bands all over the world (I've mostly tested in Europe as well as use it in the US).

Thing is the battery life is much better than any Mifi, and it's not that big heavy to throw in a bag. A mifi can fit in a pocket with your phone but you're more likely to put it in some bag.

Maybe after Apple introduces new iPads, either tomorrow or over the next month, you can find deals on iPad mini 2s with LTE.
An elegant solution. But what is the cost of the data? If you're using AT&T in the U.S., aren't you paying their data roaming rates? Also, can you set it up as a hotspot so travel companions can use the internet?