FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian fifth freedom flight
View Single Post
Old Sep 8, 2015, 4:50 pm
ETStar

Programs: Aeroplan, Shebamiles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by Arnur
I've been flying them for years (most recently last week), it is a bit of a mixed bag - they are fairly often delayed and seem to stretch their fleet to the limit, so airplane changes are fairly common. Having said that, it has been years since they lost any of my bags. In essence, you get what you are paying for.
Can you be specific on the delays? Specific routes and scenarios? That's a broad statement to make.

What I have noticed as of late is that flights out of Addis Ababa (their hub) are sometimes delayed on departure but make up for it in flight and arrive on time. ET has also adjusted some schedules to account for such delays.

There are noticeable delays due to geopolitical issues such as the Yemen airspace closure which sees Middle East bound flights detouring, compounded by the permanent closure of Eritrean airspace to Ethiopian flights which sees service to places like Doha and Kuwait flying over Sudan before crossing the Red Sea and into Saudi Arabia (check flight radar for some cool detours.) Flights to Tel Aviv are also now required to make a technical stop in Cairo both ways since the previous route of flying over Djibouti before heading North over the Red Sea is affected by Yemen airspace closure.