FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best Economy Seat 777-200 “777” C37 Zodiac Main Cabin & Extra / MCE (archive)
Old Sep 7, 2015, 12:22 pm
masonp123

Programs: AA EXP & million miler
Quick review of Y in the dark

So here's my quick take on the Y seats on the 77D. I was upgraded so wandered back, and it was pretty dark and the seats were occupied so take with a grain of salt. DIdn't spend a lot of time back there squinting at people in their seats.

The "bad" news is that it seems with the 3-3-3 config and the hard bulkheads extending to the floor, the row 13 seats may be problematic for long-legged folks. There IS quite a bit of room in front of the seats, but the bulkhead appears to extend all the way across the aisle seats. I used to take the row 20 and 30 C and G seats because i could fully extend my legs at a slight angle around the bulkhead (and suffer the occasional kick or cart ding). I'm not sure that's possible now and so I'm avoiding them.

Row 23 (exit row) middle aisles may be somewhat possible to stretch as it looked like the D and H seats straddled the bulkhead there. Again, lots of space between the seat and the bulkhead, but maybe not quite enough for a 6' 4" person to fully extend legs. On the outside in row 23 (equivalent to row 31 in the original config) there's still a huge space in front of A-C and J-L. As far as the A and L seats go, it may be my bad memory or misperception, but it seemed like the door protrusion, while farther from the seat, may be a bit more pronounced. Both passengers were asleep and didn't have legs out.

I'm flying back to Miami with a long layover, so maybe I'll hang around in the plane until after its deboarded and try them out myself. At this point, I'm going to stick with an aisle in MCE and not risk a bulkhead. Even the exit row I'll avoid just because with the 3-4-3 layout the seats are narrower. Too bad. I was hoping the aisle seats on row 13 would allow me to stick my legs into business but it didn't look good for that.

The new J is nice, slightly cramped in lie flat but I could roll over and mostly stretch out. Def a major improvement over the old J.