FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US/Canadian Issued ABTC/APEC Business Travel Card: Updates, Experiences, Q&A
Old Aug 31, 2015, 11:31 am
Assimilated Cajun

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, BA Gold, UA Gold MM, DL SM MM, Hyatt Glob, HH Diam, Marriott Ti/LT Plat, IHG Plat
Three experiences with the card in the last few days:

(1) Coming into Jakarta late Friday night. I had not intended to use the ABTC, since my plan was to get a free visa on arrival which is only for tourism. But I apparently took a wrong turn -- I was the second passenger off the plane and I followed the first passenger until I found myself at a row of counters all but one of which said "Indonesia." So I went to the remaining counter, which had a list of various VIP categories including "APEC". I told the immigration inspector I was looking for the Visa on Arrival line; he told me it was in another room. I said, "I do have an APEC card, but I wasn't intending to use it because this is a tourist visit." He brightened up and said if I had an APEC card I could use this line. But then he looked at the back of my card, puzzled over it, discussed it with his colleague, and told me it wasn't good for Indonesia. He added, however, that "I will help you out by giving you a free visa." He stamped a visa into my passport and wrote "tourism only" over it.

(2) Leaving Jakarta today, I also hadn't intended to use the APEC immigration line, but there was nobody in it so I walked up and handed the inspector my passport, my boarding pass, and the card. The inspector glanced at the front of the card, did not look at the back, and stamped an exit notation into my passport right over the "tourism only" visa.

(3) Arriving in Bangkok today I went to the "Premium Lane" which indicates that it is for certain categories of passengers including APEC. I laid my card on the counter along with my boarding pass, but I handed the inspector only my passport and arrival card. She stamped me in without seeming to notice the APEC card.