FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific canvassing opinion on new Amenity Kits
Old Aug 27, 2015, 4:50 am
QRC3288

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Rivarix
So CX finally decides to get rid off those rice sacks.

I hope CX doesn't go with design P ... it looks like high class Y+ bag (though probably cheapest to produce of all the choices above).

Design R and S are ok.

Anyone knows the timing? Article didn't mention it.
Ahh, am I in the minority? I love the new amenity kits. Indeed they look a little lame, but I really don't care much - these are the most practical I've found to actually carry a toothbrush and toothpaste around, plus they're malleable so I can really cram them in my backpack or briefcase even if I've got a lot of stuff.

And in general, I think the old amenity kits looked really tacky...I just think fliers are used to a rectangular shaped, cheesy, semi-plastic look. But for those who think the "old" ones ever looked good, I think that's crazy! Occasionally we've had decent-looking ones in F (the female version back in 2009-2010 with the flowers, beads and sequins or whatever on were particularly cool), but I can't recall ever being impressed by the J ones. I had a look into a pantry at home the other evening, and saw an old puke-colored green rectangular J class amenity kit...can't say it was looking too attractive!

My thoughts...this is business class. It's not supposed to be fancy so much as practical. I thought these new ones were the most practical of the lot!

A few months ago I literally collected 10 of them, got a few more in July and August so far, and they are the most practical by a wide margin for me.

Alas, it seems I'm very much in the minority here!

Originally Posted by sxc
I actually liked the look and quality of the material of the existing kit. However, practically it is useless.
Interesting. I use the kit as my toothbruth and tooth paste for business trips. So on the outbound flight the one I get I will use for the entire trip. On the return flight, I keep that one unused and bring it home and give them to guests who stay over as amenity travel bags. I often hop around hotels on biz trips, and I like having the same consistency of tooth paste, and not forever wasting hotel dental kits. Sometimes I'll lob a dental floss in there I get at a hotel. So I drag along this bag and I've found it the best by far! I love how I can cram it in my briefcase, backpack or suitcase.

Originally Posted by DernierVirage
The key point for me is that they must be easily useable for keeping my smartphone cables, earpieces etc., so R and S both seem OK from what I see. Anything is better than the current style anyway.
That's interesting, I never considered this before. I guess everyone uses them differently. I have a separate plastic bag I religiously keep my smartphone cables, and the rest I keep in my headphone case.