FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Trip to DC - Do I need to bring a carseat?
Old Aug 27, 2015, 1:55 am
Eclipsepearl

Programs: United Plus
Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
Wife posted this same question on on of those mommy forums and nearly every response was some variation "OMG! How could you even consider transporting your child without a carseat! Do you know how many children die every year on roads! You're such a selfish parent for even considering this!" Flyertalk wins again
Yes, people get pretty hysterical about this. Some forums even won't allow any discussion of alternatives.

What's interesting is that I did a little investigating and asked some car seat techs what the deal is. The truth is that the bigger the vehicle, the less likely it is to be in an accident. Also, even if it is in an accident, the damage is usually less severe. I even saw this once, a full sized bus that ran into a car. She looked very injured while everyone on the bus was fine.

Buses usually travel a little slower too and are more visible. Even in horrific bus accidents, often the passengers only in a certain section were injured or killed, while many walked away.

Trains are an even better deal, since they have dedicated tracks. Accidents usually involve coming off those tracks but that is rare.

So it could be argued that your child is safer, unrestrained in a big bus or train that statistically, in a car seat in a personal car.

I asked about an incident where my daughter was supposed to take a bus without seat belts and I opted to take her myself in my car in her car seat. A car seat tech actually said that statistically, she would have been safer on the bus!

She went on to explain that there is even question whether lap belts on a bus serve any purpose. They do but for breaking-jerking incidents but wouldn't make a difference in a more serious accident. Lap/shoulder is obviously better.

Then there's the whole separate issue of whether to take the car seat. If you have a lap baby, you risk damage and loss and if you only need it for a 5 minute bus ride...

So there's some factors to weigh up when planning a trip with a child in tow. For now, there is no real car seat alternative that is portable for smaller, rear-facing children. There's the Ride Safer Travel Vest for 3 and up, which we're waiting on air travel certification (when??)

Generally legally, you're covered. What is legal, isn't necessarily safe. Children up to age 7 can travel on laps in New York.

Sometimes there are foreign products sold on the net which are illegal and unsafe.