FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Contacting UA by phone outside USA
View Single Post
Old Aug 26, 2015, 8:59 am
Kensterfly

Originally Posted by ftweb
I got stranded in Mexico last night when my flight home was canceled. There was a huge line to get rebooked. Often, I can deal with this by calling to get rebooked. Unfortunately, somehow my US cell phone could not call US toll-free numbers from Mexico. In the end, I remembered I had some old calling card and was able to call a US access number from which I could then call the 1K line. They rebooked me instantly and got me great seats. I was glad I didn't have to wait in the other line, which was a complete mess, with no shortcuts for F pax or elites. (First-class is a total waste of money to Mexico.)

Is there a better way to deal with this, like a non-800 number one can call? I looked at united.com/wwcontacts, but could not find a non-800 number. There are numbers in other countries, but I didn't know if these were weird toll free numbers also (which can flat out not work internationally or paradoxically be expensive to call). Also, I didn't know the level of service, language, etc. I just wanted to speak to the usual US agents I get on the toll-free line.

Note, I'm aware that forum rules prohibit posting elite dial-in numbers. However, I'd be glad for even a non-elite number I could dial, or for instructions on how to figure out the non-800 elite number rather than the number itself.
I've called UA's 800 number from Mexico several times when I've needed to change plans for my return flight on my annual trip to the Yucatan. You have to dial the country's prefix first. In this case you have to dial 00 THEN 1-800-xxx-xxxx. (00 being the international code for the U.S.)