Old Aug 24, 15, 4:00 pm
Exec_Plat

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by hartlogan View Post

Thanks Exec_Plat, that's the sort of experience I was hoping someone could provide. I do realize a checked bag definitely complicates things.

Have you missed it before, and successfully been allowed to standby without paying for an additional ticket? If so, were you EXP at the time (for reference)?

I have no problem going the standby route, as there's several ways to Denver late in the day. And if I don't make the 2pm deadline, it doesn't matter if I get in at 3pm or 12am.

Ive been a CK for a while, so my experience isnt of much value as a comparator.

I have not done that for an intl to domestic at LAX. yes D to D, at LAX as well as DFW. Ive not missed.

If it blew up, Id expense it- so dont confuse my blase attitude with assurance.

Having said that, as a coach pax, with bags and no global entry? Id be nervous. F, no bags, GE and ive made it from plane at T4, onto a shuttle, over to TBIT and back to T4 through flagship and into T4 in ~20 minutes. But if the inbound flight is late, all the on-the-ground speed in the world is no use.

As a back up to standby, you can hold a coach saver or worst case an anytime, on a later flight. Might burn that if standby looks ugly. if you dont need it, as an EP its free. Depends on your balance.

Overall, Id like to plan for success and if the gamble on timing is OK, then nothing stupid, like an agent saying no, would ruin the plan. In my scenario you are biasing towards success against possible cost. ..... In the 'reserve later, beg sooner flight' scenario you are protected against financial risk, but leaving more to chance (timing has to work PLUS agent must agree)

Edit- just saw you are PLT. are award cancellations free?