FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - My Journey to Every Country in the World
View Single Post
Old Aug 24, 2015, 1:39 am
Tychian

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Turkish Gold, Copa Platinum, airberlin Gold
Originally Posted by hauteboy
We were supposed to go to Sangha Lodge but they apparently lost email access for a few weeks. We were going to charter a flight from Yaounde but after not hearing from them, we had to make backup plans. Finally heard back from them but we'd already changed our plans to fly DLA-BGF instead.

The quote I got from one company for the Libya visa is 350EUR so pretty crazy. Haven't heard back from other tour companies though. I should have gone last January (2014) instead of Algeria.
Their email access is really spotty. I get the very occasional update from them - during the major unrest they had a few issues but much less than other areas. Land travel to there is difficult; we took land (including a very surreal stuck-in-the-mud experience with loggin trucks and a near-riot by locals) then a boat up the Sangha river. Very cool, tho on the return the boat 'driver' had gotten drunk on palm wine waiting for us, and wound up detained at the CAR border. The authorities thought it was just fine for his 12-yr-old son to take the boat the rest of the way to Cameroon...in fact, they made him do so. Unusual approach to things for sure.

Yeah. I feel the same way about Libya. At this stage I'd content myself to dart across the border with a land crossing, but given it's desert all around, I doubt that's practical. Rue missing the 2013 opportunity.