FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta In-flight meal/food service: The definitive thread — Archive
Old Aug 22, 2015, 8:16 am
blitzcon

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Amtrak Member
Originally Posted by Friend of Sonic
I am flying to Japan later this month in the Main Cabin-- should I have any excitement over the food?

And also, I wasn't 100% clear on this, but for international flights, does the Main Cabin still get complimentary alcohol? That sounds like a terrible question, and I'm usually not much for drinking, but I would like a plan that'll let me sleep off half of this trip ;p
Keep your expectations low and you will be excited. It's not such a bad question regarding alcohol. Knowing what to expect can reduce anxiety before a big trip. I've flown trans-pacific before on United and Northwest. My Delta flights this summer to Singapore were wonderful compared to my memories of those guys. I think you'll see I ate very well below. Also, it did help to get plus seats.

MSP-NRT
Printed menu:

Dinner Choices:
Chicken breast stuffed with broccoli and cheese,with roasted corn and red peppers and red skin mashed potatoes
-or-
Beef strips with Thai green curry sauce, steamed rice and vegetables
-and-
Shrimp cocktail, garden salad, roll with butter and a brownie (Dancing Deer like domestic first!)

Mid-flight snack service:
Half ham sandwich, a banana and a pack of Milano cookies

Pre-arrival Choices:
Colby jack cheese omelet with pork sausage and potatoes
-or-
Miso chicken with steamed rice and vegetables
-and-
Bread, fresh fruit, chocolate and oj

Beverage Choices:
  • Coca-Cola
  • Coca-Cola Zero
  • Diet Coke
  • Sprite
  • Apple Juice
  • Cranberry Apple Juice
  • Orange Juice
  • Tomato Juice
  • Ginger Ale
  • Starbucks coffee
  • Starbucks VIA decaf coffee
  • Green Tea (hot)
  • Water (still)
  • Asahi
  • Suntory Premium Pilsner
  • Kirin Ichiban
  • Heineken
  • Miller Light
  • Sake
  • Red Wine (was a Merlot)
  • White Wine
  • Bacardi Rum
  • Baileys Irish Cream
  • Bombay Sapphire Dry Gin
  • Canadian Club Reserve Whisky
  • Dewar's Scotch
  • Finlandia Vodka
  • Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey Whiskey
  • Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey
  • Woodford Reserve Small Batch Bourbon

Dinner:

Pre-arrival:

NRT-SIN
No menu on this route but the choices were very similar. Dinner:

Pre-arrival service was canceled due to mild turbulence that lasted most of the flight due to a typhoon.

SIN-NRT
No menu on this route but the choices were very similar. Breakfast (yes, in economy!) was a cheese omelet with chicken sausage, spinach and cherry tomato. There was, of course, an Asian choice with rice too:

Pre-arrival service was AGAIN canceled due to mild turbulence that lasted most of the flight due to a typhoon. The head flight attendant apologized profusely and explained this had never happened to her in 30 years.

NRT-DTW
Printed menu:

Dinner Choices:
Chicken with pepper sauce, gratin potatoes and vegetables
-or-
Beef with mushroom sauce, saffron rice and vegetables
-and-
Harusame noodle salad with chicken, mixed green salad, roll with butter and pound cake

Mid-flight Snack:
Another half ham sandwich, fruit cup and a cookie of some sort

Pre-arrival Choices:
Crepe and scrambled eggs with mixed berry sauce, canadian bacon and hash brown potatoes
-or-
Yakisoba: Japanese-style fried noodles with assorted vegetables
-and-
Bread, fresh fruit and oj
--A continental breakfast choice was also offered but was not seen. I did have a continental breakfast box DTW-LHR last year so it would have a bagel+cream cheese, a yogurt and oj or similar.--

Dinner:

Pre-arrival:

All Flights:
  • Pillow and blanket akin to domestic first class
  • Free ear buds - cheap but perfect to take to the gym
  • Comfort+ Amenity Kit w/ eye shades, ear plugs, and (new!) toothbrush+toothpaste
  • Large bottled water after the first meal service