FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA promotes new e-visa access to India for UK, Irish and many other citizens
Old Aug 20, 2015, 5:01 pm
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by FrancisA
I am not sure why as Calcutta is an interesting city. It is/was struck in a bit of a time warp - it was rather like Bombay used to be 20 years ago. Perhaps that didn't equate to a profitable, business-oriented route.
Well all the competition was on that route, KLM and Lufthansa were also there, but all the western airlines gradually pulled out, BA included, so that in the end it became an Air India monopoly. Not assisted by the state government being avowedly anti capitalist, leading to disrupted operations at CCU.

However I've been lobbying all the hobnobs in BA to restore the service at every opportunity, including the chairman a mere 2 days ago. None of them have said no yet! I'm sure 787 and MF, with good USA connections, would make it financially successful.