FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Avis earning stategy..
View Single Post
Old Aug 18, 2015, 9:50 pm
IMStill4Travel

Location: SAN and before that...EWR....AA EXP (3MM)..HH LIFETIME DIAMOND..AVIS PREFERRED PLUS
Originally Posted by sdsearch
No. On each rental, it's one or the other.

No, Qualifying for Preferred Plus is different than earning Avis points.

You qualify for Avis Preferred Plus with 12 rentals a year or $5000 in spend. If you really meant 30-35 separate rentals (not just 30-35 rental days) a year, then the first of those sounds like no problem for you.

Thus assuming you always earn AA miles on a rental, you would still qualify for Preferred Plus, but you would hardly ever earn any Avis points*. Your main benefit of Preferred Plus would be the increased likelihood of upgrades (over being just Preferred).

* By "hardly ever", I mean that you would never earn Avis points on rentals, but the Avis representative here hinted about some points given to you perhaps once a year as a "birthday bonus", and perhaps those would be given even if you never earned points any other way? We don't know yet.

But...

Is your profile out of date? It says you're "AVIS FIRST". Anyone who was Avis First as of the middle of this year automatically got converted to Avis Preferred Plus status.

So did you mean you want to qualify, or just re-qualify, for Avis Preferred Plus? (If the latter, my answer above is the same re-qualifying as qualifying in the first place, for those who weren't Avis First as of the middle of this year.)
Yes, I've been Avis First for years...so I guess this would mean re-qualify. I total about 120-140 rental days on approx 35 rentals a year...so that would be no problem. Think I'm going to stick with the AA miles , as they seem to often have some nice promotions. Changing profile now..

Thanks.