FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Will make Lifetime Platinum in 1 year - meanwhile switch to Hilton - sound strategy?
Old Aug 15, 2015, 2:30 am
leeky
Suspended

an option - there are at least 2 credit cards (Citi & AX) that will give you HH G w/o any stays and there are numerous fast track offers that will get ya HH G with only a few stays.

(I've had the Citi card for HH G and made LT Marriott in this manner)

Originally Posted by bmchris
I'm wondering if I'm missing anything from this strategy.

Currently requalified for Platinum, and am about 250K points short of LT Plat (over 1,500 LT nights). I'm Hilton Gold, and will lose that if I don't work on it. I can choose my hotels, but often will choose based on convenience for work.

I figure that, all things being equal, I can make the 250K points needed for LT in 2016. 250K points = $16,666 = 83 nights at $200/night. I project that I can make that in 2016 if nothing changes work wise. I've been doing my job for 15 years, so change next year is unlikely.

So even if I switch to working on my Hilton status, I will still enjoy uninterrupted Platinum status and benefits through 2015, 2016 and forever on (unless Marriott changes their program). There's little status earning incentive to stay with Marriott in 2015 any more. I'll still use Marriott for redemptions and when it makes sense location wise.

What am I missing?