FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Starting 18 Aug 2016:United Club Access (including members) Only w/ UA/*A Same-Day BP
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:00 pm
ftweb

Programs: UA 1K, Citi Prestige, AMEX Platinum, SPG Gold
Given all the complaints, I don't understand why frequent flyers ever both to join the United club, especially given how easy it is to get lounge access through credit cards. As a *G, I have access to United club anyway when I'm flying internationally. I also have access to LH and SQ lounges when flying domestically. With my Prestige card (way cheaper than united club given $200 airplane ticket rebate, and pays for itself with hotel benefit), I get access to all priority pass lounges except UA, with no need for a boarding pass, and including two free guests. Through AMEX, I get access to the centurion lounge, which has vastly better food, and actually provides real value. (I usually eat a free meal at the Centurion lounge before boarding a flight at SFO, and, better yet, if you have kids, even the most finicky eaters seem to love the food there.)

The only circumstances under which I regret not having UA club membership is during irrops, when I have to wait in a long customer service line to get my bags back when I'm taking the last flight of the day and it's cancelled or something equally unpleasant. The thing is, that happens way less than 8 times per year, and I could always get a one-time pass to the UC for $50 (1/8 the price of membership). However, I bristle at the idea of paying $50 for customer service that ought to be my right when United canceled my flight, so I never actually pay it. But if I'd already blown $400 on a membership I would of course go there and get the benefit.

Oh, I guess there's one more circumstance--in some airports, like BOS, all the drinking fountains are broken, so I'd go into the lounge to fill by water bottle before a flight. But even at inflated airport prices, I could buy 100 bottles for the price of UC annual membership. Oh, and I just discovered that if you go to the AA gates at BOS terminal B they have working drinking fountains.

So why would a 1K ever shell out money for these clubs that everyone agrees are badly maintained, unless maybe you are a segment warrior qualifying on 120 domestic segments (in which case, whatever it takes to make it easier)?