FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hawaii suggestions?
View Single Post
Old Sep 15, 1999, 4:45 am
TropicalFlyer
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K 3MM
Aloha Scooter,

If you want very quiet relaxation and I mean quiet, I would go to Kauai. I prefer the south coast in the Poipu region. If you can afford it, the Hyatt Kauai is unbeatable. For more economical lodging, an interesting place to stay is the Garden Isle Cottages Oceanfront which is located on a small bluff overlooking the ocean. You can check it out at www.ivacation.com/p5858.htm.

Maui has more to do than any of the other neighbor islands. It's also the most developed of the neighbor isles. I think you'll be able to see evidence of this as soon as you leave the airport and pass the huge Costco and K-Mart complex.

I stayed at the Prince Hotel in Makena on the Wailea side last month and it was very peaceful and lush. You may be able to use one of the UA 50% off certificates for this hotel since it's a Westin.

In the Kihei area, it's mostly condos either on or across from the beach. If I'm staying for more than a couple of days, I like the condos since they have kitchens and washer and dryers. Many of the condos also have tennis courts, jacuzzis, barbeque areas and even restaurants.

If you want the feel of a small, touristy town then staying in Lahaina would be good for you. The Lahaina Shores Hotel is actually a condo complex right on the beach. Their website is www.classicresorts.com. Next month I'm staying at the Lahaina Inn. This Inn was restored by the owner of Crazy Shirts. It has 12 rooms starting at $99 and up which includes continental breakfast. Another big plus is that the Inn houses David Paul's Lahaina Grill which is a fantastic restaurant. Their website is www.lahainainn.com.

The Kaanapali coast is another choice in Maui. The Westin Maui has the neatest pools and waterslides. I would skip eating there though and go next door to the Hula Grill or Barefoot Bar. The downside about the Kaanapali coast is that bargains are hard to find.

Finally, you can also try staying at least one night on the slopes of Haleakala. This puts you close to seeing a totally amazing sunrise. The Silver Cloud Ranch is the place to stay here. Try and get one of the rooms with the fantastic views of the other islands. On the plus side, a full ranch breakfast is included in the price. Their website is www.maui.net/~slvrcld.

I hope this helps you.

[This message has been edited by TropicalFlyer (edited 09-15-1999).]

[This message has been edited by TropicalFlyer (edited 09-15-1999).]