FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What to do in Brussels for 8 days??
View Single Post
Old Aug 20, 1999, 5:09 pm
nathan detroit
In Memoriam

I know that part of the world rather well, so, for what's it's worth:

Don't be afraid of driving; you wont do much without a car.

Interest in history? Waterloo is a hour from downtown; if Nappy had won, world would be much different. WWI major battlefields are a couple of hours by car. Crecy (Edward III), Agincourt (Henry V) are couple of days rt and can be combined with WWI. South and a bit east WWII Battle of Bulge in beautiful Ardennes Forest and north are Bridge Too Far

sites. Aachen, Charlemagne's hq (780's-815 AD) a day trip.

R&R? Great hotels (see SRS web site) on Channel coast. No good in winter but wonderful in summer and fall.

Day trip to Brugge, a gem. Couple of days in Holland, towns much nicer than cities, delightful everywhere.

Paris, can be done as day trip using swift train.

Again for what it's worth: use a car, don't stay in Brussels as there are literally dozens of very fine small hotels all over the nearby country. If you want specific hotel suggestions, ask and I will email more to you. Roads in Benelux are good, well marked, easy to follow, not crowded except in cities and on commercial routes to the ports. Be courageous; you will not regret it nor will your dad. I've got a few years to go before I equal his age and I hope my miles don't expire; if I don't, they wont.

Cheers,