FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How is the A380 Residence Selling?
View Single Post
Old Aug 4, 2015, 8:54 am
subject2load

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Really don't want to appear to be munching on sour grapes simply because it's beyond my budget (and likely to forever remain so, in the absence of a lottery win), but I do feel The Residence is being over-hyped.

Last November I was offered the opportunity to spend a good 15 mins or so having a look around a full-scale mock-up - with exact same dimensions, fixtures & fittings as the on-board version. This happened at the Etihad stand at the annual travel industry exhibition (WTM), held at London's Excel Arena.

My personal 'guide' for the look-see/tour just happened to be the strikingly-tall female butler who, I believe, was the first to be appointed to the role. Very pleasant individual who hails from from Southport, Merseyside (northern UK for those unfamiliar).

There is absolutely no doubt that this would be a pretty stylish way to fly. And at the risk of stating the obvious, it's the total privacy element that appeals to any wealthy travellers, not least if in the true A celeb category (B category & below often like nothing more than to be noticed of course ....!!)

BUT ......there are significant downsides IMO : whilst more than spacious enough for two, it nevertheless seemed surprisingly claustrophobic - even in the living area. The shower room was a genuine disappointment, being way, way smaller than the F bathrooms on EK's A380 (can't speak for Etihad's, haven't used them). The bedroom is very 'compact' and was not quite the haven of luxury I was expecting.

All in all, I could see why the exclusivity alone will prove enough to attract bookings within a very niche market. However, when looking at the cost for a 7 hour experience, I am in no doubt that several nights in a very, very good suite at a top hotel would offer FAR better value instead. That said, the fact that anyone who can afford The Residence has no need to make such delicate 'value assessments', with an either/or decision, is not lost on me.

To those keen to see The Residence ....I say do take the chance if/when you can. But, in the meantime, I honestly wouldn't get too excited about it......