FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - WORST thing that happened while on a trip?
Old Aug 19, 1999, 6:08 pm
Indurain

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hertz P Circle
I've got 2 stories...

First:
New Year's Eve 3 years ago. My ex-girlfriend and I went to LAX to pick up her father, whom I have not yet met. All passengers from the Malasian flight emerge from the Bradley tunnel, and he didn't show up. The Malasian ticket counter was closed, and nobody around could tell us anything. My ex begins to freak, and I try to calm her while looking for help at the information desk. They suggest calling customs, and I do. Customs confirms he is being detained for questioning, but cannot tell us why, or whether he will be admitted to the country. My ex is crying, we're missing our NYE party, and her father doesn't speak English well. Finally, an hour before midnight he emerged and it came to a happy ending.

Second:
Thanksgiving last year. I'm vising my current girlfriend in the Bay Area. The Reno Air flight is 6:30am, and I show up early anticipating crowds. There were lines everywhere, and I find out I'm bumped as I check in at the gate 30 minutes before departure. I'm put on standby lists for the next 2 flights, and finally get a seat on the noon flight. I take my seat happily, row 32 isle on an MD-82, and a lady shows up with the same seat number. She goes to talk to the FA, and I get called off the full plane. As I grab my bag and walk up the isle, all eyes are on me, as well as a film crew from A&E filming "A day at LAX." They tell me they made a mistake, and put me on the next standby list. While waiting I decided to call United, and the agent agreed to honor my ticket and had me on their next flight. I get to SFO at 3:30pm. I've not been on a Reno Air flight since then.