FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA 2239 7/30 - 2+ hours on the tarmac?
View Single Post
Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:03 am
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
I meant 'is this the new normal?' in the context of the merger and more crowded slots due to DCA being a pmUS hub. Wasn't trying to be dramatic, and quite frankly, I've never (knock on wood) experienced a 2+ hour delay on the tarmac; in fact, the longest delay I've experienced was maybe 15 minutes or so? I've traveled to DCA many times, so I do have that anecdotal data.
You just haven't flown sufficiently if you've never been subject to ground holds prior to flight, stopping off at Lubbock for a wait on the Tarmac, parked in the penalty box, etc.

Given the delays seem to have been caused primarily by t-storms, no compensation is actually due ("force majeure" event the airline has no control over).

Originally Posted by GalleyWench
Lots of backlog in DCA tonight with a lot of airplanes waiting for gates. There was a huge line of thunderstorms that went through earlier that stretched from Richmond all the way up to Canada that caused a ground stop at DCA and lots of diversions. Later in the day there was a mass of weather south of the airport that stopped south bound departures and had airplanes sitting at gates that couldn't leave. The biggest problem with DCA is lack of space. When the weather is good it runs like clockwork but when it's bad it can wreak havoc like it did tonight. Deplaning on the ramp really isn't an option because of the narrow alleyways and nowhere to deplane safely. The shuttle must be on dedicated shuttle gates to utilize air stair deplaning; if those gates aren't available they deplane thru the front door only. I had a friend on that dfw flight tonight too.
From the Conditions of Carriage:

Force majeure events

American may, in the event of a force majeure event, without notice, cancel, terminate, divert, postpone or delay any flight or the right of carriage or reservation of traffic accommodations without liability except to issue an involuntary refund. The involuntary refund will be made in the original form of payment in accordance with involuntary refund rules for any unused portion of the ticket. American will also reserve the right to determine if any departure or landing should be made without any liability except the afore mentioned involuntary refund.

Force majeure event means:

• Any condition beyond American's control including, but without limitation, meteorological conditions, acts of God, riots, civil commotion, embargoes, wars, hostilities, disturbances or unsettled international conditions - actual threatened or reported. Also, because of any delay, demand, circumstances or requirement due, directly or indirectly to such conditions; or
  • Any strike, work stoppage, slowdown, lockout or any other labor related dispute involving or affecting American's service; or
  • Any government regulation, demand or requirement; or
  • Any shortage of labor, fuel or facilities of American or others; or
  • Any fact not reasonably foreseen, anticipated or predicted by American

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 31, 2015 at 8:49 am Reason: add quoted post