FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Orleans restaurants -- recent reviews and recommendations?
Old Jul 27, 2015, 11:45 am
FLYMSY

You mean there are grocery stores other than Dorignac's? Rouse's is our second choice. Gotta shop local. ^ BTW, when we're at Dorignac's, we usually try to checkout in the line with Karla at the register and Dorothy bagging. They are a dynamic duo, but Dorothy provides the entertainment.

If Besh is involved with Shaya, it might only be financially. It is definitely Alon's show. Alon is frequently out front and stopping by the tables to chat. First time, we told him we were newbies and he led us thru the menu and recommended what we should order since it was our first time. It was a great dining experience. He has some very nice wines from countries that are not the usual suspects.

With regard to Freret St., I usually go Nashville to Freret to avoid all the construction mess. It's relatively painless.

Thanks for the compliment, however, there are several others, residents and non-residents, that help keep it real, also. We appreciate your input & love for our NOLA.

I liked your comment about hole in the wall places and finding the unexpected. Had that experience recently myself. I happened to see a small sign tacked on a light pole pointing down a side street to a Po-boy shop. This place has been in business for over fifty or sixty years and I didn't know it existed. The embarrassing point is that it's only five minutes from my house. I went there for lunch recently and when I stepped inside the place, it was like I had stepped into a freaking time warp. Pure neighborhood place where everyone seemed to know each other. I loved seeing the late 70s year old woman sitting in a booth by herself eating a salad accompanied by a longneck.