FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA clamping down on missed final ex-EU sector [?]
Old Jul 24, 2015, 12:17 pm
Often1
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by FrancisA
Whilst I applaud your attempt at clarity, would this really reflect the position an airline would want to be in?

Your last paragraph implies that failure to fly A-B will only result in a reprice, whereas in reality under many airlines' current T&Cs it would result in cancellation of the whole ticket.

I thought the LH response to one of the German cases was to offer a fare where the sectors could be flown out of order or not flown at all. Such a fare was priced higher than standard fares to reflect the added flexibility.

Obviously BA could do the same, but that introduces added complexity by creating another fare class, which does little to make the purchasing process clearer for the customer. On the other hand, I doubt many airlines would wish adopt as a standard term the ability to drop sectors and reorder coupons.

If you introduce "cancel or reprice" the ticket, it then becomes unclear who determines which, robbing it of clarity.

In many ways clarity is in the eye of the beholder. Something may be clear because it is very simple, you view through the prism of your expert knowledge or you fail to see the complications and pitfalls.

Don't get me wrong - the quest for clarity is commendable, but not necessary easy to achieve.
And that is the problem with trying to make complex things simple. They aren't. People deride the "fine print" in contracts, but the fact is that the language is there for a reason. When one is forced to simplify for the sake of "clarity" what one person thinks is important may not be to the other person.

Many of the undertakings made in the name of pro-consumerism, are far from that.