FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers {Archive}
Old Jul 24, 2015, 8:23 am
snolan02

Hi PST..

I am having the same problem as you but with Aeroplan (Air Canada) trying to upgrade a B class seat on EVA Air from Toronto (YYZ) to TPE. Today is Friday and I've been trying to get this upgrade since Monday with multiple calls but even the senior supervisors at Aeroplan have given up. They say it is a problem with the Star Alliance system and they can't fix it. Im a techie and know that "someone knows how to fix this" but no one wants to find that person. Our flight is on Wednesday (in 5 days).

Anyway... Here is what I have learned...

I purchased a B class ticket for three people YYZ-TPE-KUL outbound; SIN-TPE-YYZ return; I only want to upgrade the long haul segments (YYZ-TPE and TPE-YYZ). At first the flights were not upgradable because the error message "married segments".

I called EVA Air and they were kind enough to "divorce the segment" which normally that request should come from the Star Alliance partner who is trying to upgrade the segment.

Then that worked and I could see that there was upgrade availability from Economy-Business; so I selected the upgrade and receive a "general failure error 057.SAU" and it says to call technical support; but they don't know what that error means and only transfer you over to customer service; who have now given up.

I select the upgrade, it processes, it fails; my account transactions show mileage out and redeposited again. Aeroplan customer service says just try tomorrow. Great.. (sarcasm).

So I called EVA Air and the rep was kind enough to confirm that there are more than 4 SAU seats available (not only their InfinityMileageLands upgrades).

I even had my wife separated from the reservation so I could try upgrading only her and only one segment from YYZ-TPE. Same errors.

So yes the system is broken; the airlines keep passing us back and forth and still no one knows who to call to sort this out.

I'm still trying but thanks.. it was (somewhat) good to see that you are having the same issue on UA.

Good luck

Last edited by snolan02; Jul 24, 2015 at 8:29 am