FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Day hikes around Kit Carson / Carson Pass and Silver Lake in the High Sierras?
Old Jul 20, 2015, 3:45 pm
darthbimmer

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by OliverB
[I]t sounds like we should probably not put too much weight towards the amount of foot traffic on the trail and just get out there to enjoy the natural beauty and scenery.
Exactly.

Do you think hiking on a Sunday rather than Saturday might offer more solitude along the trail or will it not make much of a difference? Would timing make a difference; ie. leaving earlier or later in the day? Would it be possible to plan a sunset hike and if so, would you be able to offer your best judgement on the latest time of day to safely "set off" along the loop?
Yes. This is another one of the benefits of staying right in the mountains. Not only are you surrounded by beauty as you stand at your door, but you are close to activities so you have the luxury of starting early, or finishing late, or both. The crowds are much thinner at these hours of the day.

It's hard to recommend a specific time of day to start a late hike. It depends on what route you'll take, how fast you go, how long you'll spend stopping to rest/eat/take pictures/etc., and how well you're prepared for hiking during and after sunset. All I can recommend is that you take these factors into consideration yourself and make a sober decision.

On certain popular trails I routinely see people starting up the mountain late in the afternoon, as I'm coming down. They don't have enough water, they don't have proper footwear (e.g., they're in shower slippers on a trail that involves scrambling over rocks), and they don't have flashlights or warmer clothes for after the sun goes down. Don't be like them.