FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Day hikes around Kit Carson / Carson Pass and Silver Lake in the High Sierras?
Old Jul 19, 2015, 12:38 am
OliverB

Thank you very much, is there a particular trail you would recommend based on the above criteria? I just ordered the book btw and I'm looking forward to delving in more thoroughly.

As an ex-pat Canadian, I've spent a lot of time in the Rockies around Alberta/BC and I've always packed bear spray, so I like to ask just to be safe. About 10 years ago, I was in Jasper coming off a trail in early spring, where a ranger had warned about bear activity. I was hiking solo and advised against doing so, but figured I'm all the way out here... I found out later that evening that a man was mauled to death on the same trail that I had been on earlier, only moments from where I had been. Up until that incident, I had never been afraid of bears but since then, I've always packed pepper spray in bear country. That said, I've yet to actually encounter a bear in California and even hiking alone with my wife in the high country around Yosemite, I've never felt unsafe or apprehensive. I just like to ask and be sure when it's an area that I'm not familiar with.