FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - HIKING ASIA: Mt Fuji and the Great Wall with some SQ First and assorted fun
Old Jul 15, 2015, 12:47 am
olafman

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Turkish Miles&Smiles Elite, Marriott Plat
PART 2: Singapore Airlines A380 First Class LAX-NRT

BOARDING: 10/10

Being a frequent flyer dork, I wanted a picture of the beautiful bird that would be flying us to Narita. This required that we walk past the gate into the Emirates boarding area. Corbin just rolled his eyes and was anxious to get on board.

Our lovely A380 waiting to take us to Japan

I recently started the book “Skyfaring: A Journey with a Pilot” by Mark Vanhoenacker. He was interviewed on one of the podcasts I listen to. He’s a BA pilot and avid airplane geek. I’ve really enjoyed learning more about airplanes and travel through his perspective. I would definitely recommend it to all Flyertalkers.

The Suites boarding pass podium was empty and waiting for us and a very friend agent wished us a pleasant flight. I don’t think that is going to be a problem. SQ knows how to treat their passengers.

My son got to the door first and one of the male flight attendants whisked him off to his suite. Another male flight attendant greeted me and showed me to my suite at 2K. I was getting worried that we would be served by an entirely male staff for this flight. Finally a beautiful Singapore Girl arrived an introduced herself. I asked if she would mind taking an updated picture with my son and she gladly accepted.

Corbin with the Singapore Girl who served us in First

As we walked back to our suites, the flight attendant asked me if Corbin and I were brothers! These Singapore employees are SHAMELESS! I’m 35 years older than Corbin!! I laughed again and also accused her of flirting.

Corbin loves having a window to look out so he insisted that we sit on the side instead of in the more traditional adjoining suites in the middle. I simply smiled and was privately pleased inside. That’s my boy.

A happy boy

The typical pre-departure activities commenced and soon I had a glass of champers in hand. I had asked for Krug but she apologized that because of the duty issues, they were only serving Dom on the ground. I guess that would do until we were in the air.

No Krug on the ground. Just Dom.

She presented me with the amenity kit and also some jammies when I packed away. I much prefer my own comfy inflight wear over any airline jammies. But they make a nice thing to offer guests when they stay with us. I changed into my comfy clothes and we were soon off.

INFLIGHT SERVICE: 10/10

This flight could possible be one of the best in my life. It easily matched my previous top winner with a CX FC flight from a couple of years ago when my friend Tom and I flew back from Hong Kong. An amazing flight attendant, Susanna, from the Philippines served us an amazing 3 hour feast.

About an hour into the flight, the flight attendants asked if I wanted dinner. Why not! The food was outstanding. Of course I overate but it was worth it.

I started with caviar and a glass of vodka. Then I had a delicious celeriac soup. For my main I used the Book-The-Cook service for Boston Lobster Thermador. Corbin pre-orded the Nigiri Sushi. Finally I had a nice cheese plate to finish it off.

The pace of the meal was perfect and I was never at want for anything. It seemed like I saw four different attendants serving which I was surprised at.

A great way to start a meal

A celeriac soup that was AMAZING

My Book-The-Cook’ed Boston Lobster Thermador

My favorite way to end a meal

After the meal, I have the tradition of walking the plane. On an A380 this means all the way through economy to the back then up the stairs and returning through business. This required a little acrobatics to get over the cords blocking access but I managed in spite of my now slightly tipsy state! Once upstairs a flight attendant stopped me saying that economy passengers weren’t allowed upstairs. As I was about to respond, her eyes glanced down at my first class slippers and told me I was more than welcome. The flight was only about half full which surprised me for summer vacation. Hopefully SQ is making money on this route!

Soon I requested that the flight attendant perform her magic and make my bed. I like that Singapore’s bed is not a bed made from a seat. Instead it folds out from the wall. The mattress is very comfortable. Top marks still is earned by Lufthansa with their upstairs First Class on their aging 747-400s. Having a true bed NEXT TO your seat is the best.

One of the best beds in the sky and a small glass of JW Blue to help me sleep

I slept about five hours which was more than I had wanted since we arrived at 7 p.m. Prior to landing we had another meal. It’s always good to top off the stomach before leaving the plane! I enjoyed my prawns and then some Wagyu beef and mushrooms. Normally I’m not a dessert person at all but the lime tart hit the spot.

Sesame coated prawns

Mushrooms wrapped in Wagyu beef

Lime tart

OVERALL: 10/10
Singapore Airlines has a great product on the A380. The suite is very comfortable. The food was great. And the service was probably the most friendly I’ve ever experienced on any of my SQ flights. It’s a good sign when you are slightly sad when a flight is over!

But our excitement to meet up with our friends to begin our Tokyo/Mt Fuji adventure won out and we said our goodbyes. We had pole-position number one as we left the plane. The passport control was entirely empty and we quickly passed through and were on our way.

It was an easy transfer to our hotel at Tokyo Disneyland where we met up with five of our friends for a great time at Tokyo Disney Sea, the best Disney park in the world!

Last edited by olafman; Sep 29, 2015 at 9:07 pm