FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ethics of the Prestige 4th night free
View Single Post
Old Jul 13, 2015, 12:21 pm
djtsukasa

Originally Posted by cbn42
I don't see how the approval process matters. In the end, you are still being reimbursed for actual expenses, not a negotiated rate.

I have to disagree with that. The reporting and approval process are irrelevant. What matters is the type of reimbursement. If you are being reimbursed a fixed rate, you can take all the incentives you want, because you are receiving an incentive from a company that is trying to get your money. If you are being reimbursed for actual expenses (even if they have to be pre-approved) and you accept miles or points, then you are receiving an incentive from a company in return for directing someone else's money to them, which makes it a kickback.
By that logic, any miles/points received from CCs OR actually flying is a kickback from a company that wants your money. Even more so now for example with United/Delta's earning structure. You get miles based on how much you spend with them. Is that ethical...?

I do think the approval process matters, because you are being upfront about how much money you are going to cost the company, and they approve. IF they approve one amount and you charge them another thats a different story in my opinion, but.. if you say you are going to spend X amount of money and then charge them the same X amount of money, not sure where any other rebates you might receive are considered unethical?