FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Suggestion: make pointbreaks an elite only promotion
Old Jul 11, 2015, 3:45 am
FlyerTalker688786
Suspended

Suggestion: make pointbreaks an elite only promotion

Since the soft introduction of Spire, the weakness of IHG in elite treatment is showing through endless talks. I think many flyertalkers have said something that I agree. IHG rewards is all about earning and redeeming points to maximise the value. I think elite benefits is a hit and miss. That is OK.

So I start to think if anything IHG can do to make tangible benefits towards its elite members.

And I have a solution: to make pointbreaks an elite only event. And elites has to earn the pointbreaks rather than do it so freely.

So how to implement the idea?

Basically, every member has to earn an electronic voucher for redemption of pointbreaks. Once member reach Gold status, he/she starts to earn the pointbreaks voucher. For every 10,000 elite qualifying points, member can earn one electronic voucher which can be used until 31st December the next year.

Each voucher can be set for a maximum 3 week days stay or 4 days of weekend stay. The voucher is non-refundable and have to be used with reward points (currently 5,000 per night).

So for a Platinum member, he/she can earn four vouchers which could redeem for a maximum of 16 weekends days stay by using the vouchers and 80,000 points.

The more Elite Qualifying points you earn the more voucher you have.

With this system, elite members get tangible return and pointbreaks would be regulated so no more room selling is possible. And hotels on the list can last longer since you have to earn elite qualifying points to use the voucher thus limit the usage. Voucher is non-refundable so one has to be really sure that they will be going to the hotel while points are refundable so people do not loose the points but voucher only in case no show.

Would you support such system or you think the current one is better? Just curious and enjoying being an arm chair CEO currently.