FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Portable monitor suggestions?
View Single Post
Old Jul 9, 2015, 11:25 pm
chx1975

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Welcome friend! I am the compendium in these matters. I very seriously doubt there's a single portable monitor in existence I am unaware of, I have spent considerable time and effort gathering information about and buying better and better ones.

First of all, I will only write about full HD monitors. Nothing else is worth a cent.

GeChic 1303H is 13.3", it has got a micro HDMI, mini DisplayPort and even VGA. Monitor is 600gr, cover stand is 320gr. Price on amazon.com right now: $370. Too small for me.

Asus MB168B+ is 15" and USB driven. I don't like that. The build DisplayLink chip requires drivers and doesn't work at all with Linux or any mobile device. A bit small but if it was not USB I would think about it. But since it is I don't need to.

At 17" you can find these http://www.nextcomputing.com/products/portable-monitors and similar industrial babies. At $1250 a piece I am skipping them.

At 19" or so you can find tablet-monitor crosses, I would mention the Sharp LL-S201A, the Asus PT201Q and the Huion GT-220. For me the sweet spot lies here, the size is small enough to put in your carry on backpack but it's very usable. These are hideously expensive too, expect 4-800 USD.

Going bigger you can find the 22" AOC e2251Fwu (which I had) which is USB with all its disadvantages and the 23" AOC E2351F which was my go-to piece. Both of these have very innovative, lightweight stands and the GearGrip Wide is a perfect sized cover to protect the monitor while inside your suitcase. The E2351F doesn't fit in any sane carry on backpack, not even the Rush 72 which is borderline insane. I did carry it on in the Magma Rolltop Backpack II but who said I am sane and I really didn't like the experience.

The dream would be a 19.5" monitor with the thickness, weight and stand of the mentioned AOC. But noone makes a 19.5"-ish plain monitor with a full HD resolution. The reality is I nabbed a Sharp LL-201A for an agreeable price off eBay and I made a stand out of Lego (do not laugh) based on http://www.instructables.com/id/Lego...-Tablet-Stand/ this. You can buy lego piece by piece for very cheap and I provided the parts list there. The Sharp fits in the eBags Mother Lode TLS so I readily presume it'll fit in any "convertible carry on" category backpack (Aeronaut, Air Boss etc).

Hunion is releasing the GT-185HD next week
Amazon Amazon
which looks rather interesting size wise. If I didn't invest in that Sharp already this might be my choice -- but I would wait for a used one because the price makes my eye water.

Ask away, I have been flying uncounted number of flights and miles with a monitor.

Last edited by chx1975; Jul 9, 2015 at 11:46 pm