FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How to get residual/"future flight credit" from non-refundable flight {Archive}
Old Jul 6, 2015, 1:57 am
mozilla

Getting the ETC is a real pain!

I didn't get any ETC in the mail or via email, so I called them to find out where it was.

"For your convenience", they will apparently not automatically send the ETC PIN to you by email or USPS, but rather store it in their reservation system.

If you want to obtain the ETC PIN, you need to call to UA reservations, help them find the original reservation, and then when they see the ETC they'll create a request in their system to send the ETC PIN to you by email, which takes 3-7 days. I did this, and the ETC arrived after 3 days as a PDF attached to an email from unitedairlines AT united.com with subject "Electronic Travel Certificate". With a subject like this, only 1 line of body text and an attachment, it's easily identified as junk mail, so be sure to check your junk folder.

The 1-page PDF contains your name and address, ETC Value, ETC Promotion Code (15TCVA or 14TCVA), PIN code, Issued Date, Expiration Date and Original Ticket Number. It also contains a "RELEASE OF LIABILITY", "REDEMPTION INSTRUCTIONS" and "CERTIFICATE TERMS AND CONDITIONS" (which is the text of GG ETC).

The good news is that the PIN actually works on the UA website. I used it to make a new flight reservation online without any problem. But you need to follow the instructions listed in "redemption instructions" to the letter.

They will not provide the ETC PIN over the phone (well at least not to me).

Depending on how helpful the agent is, if it's urgent, they may offer to book your flight immediately using the ETC on the phone.

Last edited by mozilla; Jul 6, 2015 at 2:11 am