FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AC Presence on FT
View Single Post
Old Jul 5, 2015, 4:16 am
Hello again
Suspended

Originally Posted by The Lev
Must say that it was much nicer when they called them "benefits" instead of "privileges"...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...-benefits.html

Nothing was "free" - you earned status by paying to fly.

Are you surprised that people complain when "privileges" they used to enjoy are systematically taken away?
I pay to buy gas and the oil company hasn't improved their benefits/privileges of the last many years and in fact barely give any. Why do airlines need to be different. I flew AC as a loyal customer long before Aeroplan came along and did take advantage of their early largess as the miles came in droves. Then along came AIF's, high fuel costs, security costs and increased airport rents. No airline in the industry was making money but they were giving seats away like candy. Rational economics finally took over helped by ever efficient software that allows them to right size planes for each market they serve and keep them pretty full with PAYING customers.

Am I surprised that people complain? Not at all, its human nature. BUT, most of the complainers want freebies and things that are clearly unaffordable to business today due to the above cost changes we have seen. That being said, the fact I can buy an Asian pass in J(Z,C,D) for much less than I could get that seat even 10 years ago tells me where the airline's priorities are. They make money selling tickets, not giving them away. As for upgrades, before AE there was the very lucky person who got an upgrade to the front cabin only when flights were oversold, now people see it as their right because of a certain status. Do you really think the average FF'er (an AC E50 in this case) should feel they have the right to get upgrades just about any time or even have unlimited access to a lounge? The CC companies have jumped into this market and are charging for the privilege so airlines will soon dump that privilege for those who don't provide them serious revenue (AC will soon have a separate high end lounge in most major airports in Canada and their major airports abroad). Lets see how many E50's will pay for the lounge privilege that I get for free because I deliver serious revenue to the airline. Upgrade privileges for me have not changed at all because I maintain a higher level of spend and get treated accordingly. I do have to pay more for most flying but it is less on an inflation basis than I paid 25 years ago.
You fly a lot of Tango to save your company money and give good impressions to your staff. Do you really expect the airline to reward you for your parsimonious ways as a low margin customer, compared to someone who spends for higher fares?