FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Voting Ended / Motion Passed: Creation of a Smoking Section
Old Jul 2, 2015, 5:43 am
Dovster
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by valedecem
I can't imagine they would want to run the risk of glamorizing smoking to underage kids.
Originally Posted by Absolutely Nobody
It was a beautiful spring evening in New York and I had a three hour connection on my way to Las Vegas, so I went outside to light up a smoke.

A moment later, a gorgeous blonde walked up to me, took out a cigarette, and asked me if I could give her a light. As a true gentleman would, I took out my solid gold Dunhill lighter and held it up to her cigarette. Our hands touched and it was a magic, electric, moment between the two of us.

"I always like meeting fellow smokers," she said to me, "especially men. Any real man I have ever met smoked."

After a few minutes of chatting she mentioned that she was taking the same flight to LAS that I was. We walked back inside the terminal and went to the check in counter. I told the agent that I was flying in First Class and the lady was going in Economy. I asked if we could switch seats.

"Don't be silly," the agent replied. "I was standing near you having my own cigarette and saw the two of you smoking. I always upgrade smokers to FC, and there is no problem to put the two of you next to each other."

When we arrived at the Bellagio, we asked to have our separate reservations merged into one and get a suite instead of two separate rooms. That was done immediately and the hotel even gave us a luxury suite for the same price as one small room.

We spent the week together and when we returned to New York she went home and I had to connect to my flight to Tel Aviv. I went outside for a smoke and, a moment later, a gorgeous Israeli brunette walked up to me, took out a cigarette, and asked me if I could give her a light...
That post would be glamorizing smoking and while it might fit on Omni, it certainly would not meet the requirements of a Smoking Forum. Of course, I have never heard of such a thing happening in real life -- certainly, and unfortunately, not to me. For all of that, if someone does make such a post on the Smoking Forum I promise to RBP it as being off topic for the forum.

On the other hand, what did happen to me in real life would fit perfectly on the forum. Last year, I stayed at the ATL Hilton and called them in October to ask to have the same corner room reserved for my award stay in January. I was told that the hotel no longer allows smoking.

I then made an award reservation on line for a smoking room at the ATL Embassy Suites. It was confirmed but a few days before my arrival I called the ES to ask if I could get early check in and was told that renovations had been completed sooner than expected and it is now smoke-free.

After careful search, the only ATL hotel I could find which both allowed smoking and had a courtesy bus from the airport was a Microtel which was in very bad shape and, of course, I could not use my HHonors points there. I had to pay cash.

The post would be on topic for a Smokers Forum as it:

1. Lets smokers know that neither the Hilton nor the ES allow smoking any longer.

2. They can stay at the Microtel.

3. It is always a good idea to confirm before arrival that your hotel hasn't changed its policy.

Does my real life experience seem glamorous to you in any way?