FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AC Presence on FT
View Single Post
Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:27 am
Ben Lipsey
Flying Blue Director

Originally Posted by KenHamer
I don't think you're 2 cents is worth anything, at least not based on the math above, which is pretty much babble speak.

You state as fact that participants in FT account for 0.0000001% of your customer base. For the sake of argument let's assume your customer base is the 38,526,000 annual passengers YOWie noted, and furthermore, let's assume that every passenger is a unique passenger -- that is, every passenger purchased 1 ticket and 1 ticket only. None of those 38 million took more than a single flight.

If that's the case, then apparently entire FT/AC membership consists of approximately 1/25th of a person, which is clearly absurd. But worse, you double down on the babble speak by claiming "literally".

Again for the purposes of this argument, if we assume that there are 385 participants on the FT/AC forum (which I think is reasonable) then your numbers are out by a factor of 10,000. If we guestimate that on average each of those participants takes 10 flights a year (again, probably not unreasonable) then you are out by a factor of 100,000 -- because for each additional flight, that FT participant becomes multiple passengers of that original 38 million.

So if you're going to claim something as fact that is out by a factor of 10,000 to 100,000, or perhaps even more, then I think babblespeak is a fair assessment.

But perhaps worse, is the cavalier dismissal of the FT cadre as a minuscule, insignificant, and inconsequential group. Given the number of times this group has effected changes in AC policies, starting way back with errorplan right up to the minor improvements in benefits past 100K this year.
This group has very rarely, if ever, been the direct cause of any changes to AC policies except in cases where we feel improvements can be made (eg. Standby for YVR/YYC/YEG) - I can assure you things like the changes to benefits after 100k were not effected because of FT.

In any case, that dismissive attitude is unlikely win over anyone.

Finally, if the FT forum is so inconsequential, it begs the question as to why so many Air Canada employees, all the way up to senior execs, would be wasting their time here.
Maybe because we are people who love the industry, just like the rest of you.

Last edited by Ben Lipsey; Jul 1, 2015 at 4:46 am