FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt Discount Codes (many are Corporate)
Old Jun 28, 2015, 12:18 pm
Exec_Plat

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by dayone
Booking a rate for which one doesn't qualify is arguable at best, unethical to most and fraudulent at worst.

Maintaining that one is blameless when the rate is challenged is beyond the pale.
OK, I know people on the internet need to judge... lets get past that and actually get to the issue.

What will they charge you? It is not like there is a legal statue that says "if you attempt fraud they charge you whatever they want"

There are two SEPARATE issues: is it fraud. Maybe. Lets even say yes to get past the chest thumping and moral superiority nonsense.

What can the desk clerk/hotel charge you if you refuse the upcharge?

They can SAY 'you pay RACK'...and I submit, unless there is text in the terms and conditions under which you gave them a deposit, that you are not obligated to pay rack if you choose not to stay. Furthermore, can they take the deposit, refuse you a room, and keep the deposit even if you showed up? You arent a no-show...

I submit there is a legal vacuum around this specific issue in many terms and conditions.

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Interesting that you don't think you're going to be charged the cancellation fee...

You also don't seem to understand that each corporate receives reports of those who use their code. If they query your stay, Hyatt will investigate and they have your credit card details and contact information.

At the PH SYD using a large corporation's code that wasn't settled by account during the stay would arouse suspicion in itself. I do recall guest's paying RACK when it was discovered during their stay.

If you have no moral compass, ponder on that.
1. The terms and conditions state you will pay for the room if you no show. Period.

The terms and conditions do not (usually) say "If you are not qualified for the rate you reserve, your rate will be the rack rate"

On RARE occasion Ive seen "if you do not qualify for the booked rate, you will pay the walk up rate" in the advance terms and conditions. Which is not RACK.

Happened to me once in PHX with a rate I had at 249. they wanted $480. I sat on a chair in the lobby, booked a room for $339 on my ipad. Desk clerk said "Glad you were able to book that, they make us charge that to walk ups".

2. The idea that a corp would see a night hotel stay somewhere, flag it, then have the hotel come back to a guest either during the stay or weeks/months/years later is truly laughable

3. The Park Hyatt SYD is not really a useful example, is it? I have no doubt their processes, checks and policies are strict.

4. You worry about your moral compass, I'll worry about mine. How I deal with PEOPLE is entirely different than my moral feelings towards CORPORATIONS.

ps austin-modern..Ill PM you, happy to help your company's cause.

I KID, I KID!!!