FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Business dress code in Ghana - can't get a clear answer!
Old Jun 25, 2015, 1:37 pm
PaxALotl

Business dress code in Ghana - can't get a clear answer!

Hello all -

I am taking a trip to Accra for business, and I'm trying to get a clear understanding of what to pack. i have done business in tons of places, included a lot of topical places with hardcore heat and humidity. So, I know that you have to pack just the right stuff if you're a chronically sweaty guy like me!

I work in the IT industry, for a small software consultancy that deals generally with newer technology and younger, smaller countries. So, in many places like Thailand, Ukraine, etc. the business dress code is 'suits and ties for starters', but I arrive only to find the tech folks wearing short sleeve collars and jeans. This is great for me - I will be sweaty mess in a suit in Bangkok!

In Ghana, however, I'm having a hard time finding out there 'real' dress code. All I hear is that suits and ties are required for 'important' meetings i.e. government meetings, and African shirts are also ok in some circumstances. My hope is to get away with my standard outfit - a pair of really nice tropical wool or microfiber pants and a short sleeve collared shirt.

Does anyone have any insight into this? If I need long sleeves, I would have to figure out a source for cool weather long sleeve dress shirts - I don't have any.

Any Ghana experts, please opine

thanks!