FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:33 am
Peter Kassner

Compensation for involuntary bump?

Hi, first time poster in this forum, so I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong place/thread.

Tl;dr : Due to a Delta computer error, my itinerary was canceled. Delta agents acknowledged they needed to reinstate my itinerary but only offered me a later departure to a different airport in the same area. How should I go about getting compensation, other than via email?

Yesterday, when I tried to check in for the return leg of a roundtrip LGA-JAX itinerary, Delta's website told me that no reservation under my confirmation number existed.

I spent an hour on the phone with various customer service agents, who determined that the itinerary had been canceled because Delta's reservations system thought I didn't board the first leg of the itinerary. In fact, I had. The agents said I would need to go to the Jacksonville airport to sign an affidavit attesting to the fact that I indeed flew on the first leg of the itinerary. Only then would I be permitted to board the 6:30 departure to JFK, because the 5:20 departure to LGA was oversold. When I got to the airport to check in for the JFK flight, I was not asked to sign an affidavit, and simply given a boarding pass for the JFK flight.

I was never asked if I consented to being put on the JFK-bound flight, nor offered compensation.

I emailed Delta through its website. Should I take other steps?