FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Miles - Possible to redeem for travel?
Old Jun 19, 2015, 3:20 pm
heraclitus

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by JetLife
Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I couldn't find a forum for Air Miles.

Has anybody been able to actually redeem Air Miles for travel? Any flights I search, it says there is no availability at the stated redemption cost (say it costs 2,000 Air Miles per their chart). Then they'll be flights that are available for 5,000 Air Miles or something ridiculous.

Is this just a scam or what? I've tried searching a bunch of different locations, dates, etc. but keep getting the same result.

I may just have to bite the bullet and redeem for gift cards or similar I suppose.
It is possible, although I can't say that I understand what the trick is to actually getting the stated redemption cost or how likely it is that you will be able to pull it off for your itinerary.

For instance, I was looking at booking YWG-FLL, and for a while my searches were turning up 0 at the stated cost. Then I threw Saturdays into the mix, and sure enough the once-a-week WS YWG-FLL nonstop came in at the base rate. It was the only flight that did... and availability was good.

But yeah, on the whole, from my limited experience it does seem as though getting that stated rate is hard.