FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Marquis at the Marina, San Diego [Master Thread]
Old Jun 18, 2015, 10:34 pm
zippy the pinhead

Stayed here as a Gold, for a conference. First time at this property.

They put me in the South Tower on a high floor with a city view. Happily I brought ear plugs, as I tend to sleep lightly and there is constant noise from the city streets (rail crossing claxon, cars, sirens) which can be sleep-imparing. There is construction in progress right next to the North Tower. It is noisy, but I have not heard it from the room.

I came down here on the Amtrak, so I can't speak to parking.

Regarding the beer, the Marina Kitchen Restaurant & Bar had Go To IPA (Stone) and Sculpin IPA (Ballast Point), so I can't complain about that.

Concierge Lounge (24th floor, South Tower) has iffy appetizer foods-- one night, Chicken Gyoza, cheese, crackers, bread; another, Beef Empanadas, cheese, crackers, bread-- but beautiful views of the harbor. I sat looking at sunsets, enjoying the view. The Reagan (CVN 76) and a couple other sizable ships are currently in port. The lounge was crowded when I was there, but lots of staff were constantly patrolling, picking up plates, etc. The best part of the lounge experience is definitely the view.

Regarding restaurants, I did a couple of meals at Roy's (adjacent to the hotel pool). Decent food, if not pricey. Lousy beer list. I came down with a fresh pint of Go To and a hostess told me that I needed to finish it immediately. I politely demurred and had it with my meal anyway. It seemed to me that they should be more polite in light of their prices.

Concierge Breakfast is being run in the lobby of the North Tower. I'd say it is comparable to the free breakfast you get many places... Embassy Suites, et al. After trying it once I went out for breakfast ever after.

A positive could be the proximity to the Gaslamp Quarter, if that appeals to you. Many restaurants within walking distance.