FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel Safety Tips
View Single Post
Old Jun 6, 2003, 8:40 am
SkiAdcock
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
A few more...

* With everything happening in our world right now, it is important that we stay in tune with our internal guidance system. That part of our makeup, sometimes referred to as our Spirit, can alert us of any impending danger. Too many times our intellect -- the part of us that thinks it's running the show -- overrides our intuition, and not wanting to appear foolish, we ignore our internal warnings and wind up getting hurt or worse.

* I devised a surefire way to find out if it is safe to walk around the area near a hotel. I walk up to the front desk and ask if it is safe to walk near the hotel. Almost always, the hotel employee answers, "Yes." Then, I look the employee in the eye and slowly ask, "Would you let your mother or sister walk alone in the area around the hotel?" Amazingly, about 1/3 of the time,
the employee says s/he would not, although the employee previously told me it is safe! If the hotel employee says it is safe, I then go through the same questions with a different hotel desk clerk or manager. If both say it is safe, then I feel confident it is safe.

*Get in the habit of locking all doors of your car the minute you enter. Rental cars may not have the auto lock feature and it may be slightly inconvenient but it is well worth the trouble. A good friend of mine, who
was driving away from a presentation at an urban hospital, got robbed and raped. She was stopped at a stop light when her attacker opened the unlocked passenger door and slid into the car. We've all gotten used to putting on our seat belts. Locking all doors should become similarly automatic.

------------------
Sharon