FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel Safety Tips
View Single Post
Old May 30, 2003, 9:46 am
SkiAdcock
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Take 3 on the tips...

* When you have a concern about a hotel's security practices, you are more likely to see meaningful action taken if you notify the hotel's General Manager than if you lodge your complain with a front-desk agent or security supervisor. If the General Manager is not available, ask to speak to the
designated MOD (Manager on Duty or Manager of the Day). The MOD is typically required to log all incidences occurring during his or her time on duty, so there will be a record of your concern. I recently received a non-working door key, and the security officer who responded let me into my room without requesting any identification. That is totally unacceptable and should be
reported immediately!

* Maintain a current passport for everyone in your family, including your children. Photocopy the two adjacent pages (with picture and ID info) of everyone's passport. Cut and laminate. This works as another form of identification for you and your children as you travel anywhere in the world.

* The Tampa police dept constantly warn meeting attendees to remove their badges prior to walking out on the street. A badge can be a homing device for criminals that know you probably will not be around after the conference or convention to testify even if they are caught.

* I always carry my wallet and money in the front pocket of my pants. It's the safest place against pickpockets. In the back pocket they can easily steal it when you go up the stairs or even slice the pocket with razor blades and take the wallet. The inside pocket of the jacket is not safe also because
it's easy to put it away from the body (so you don't feel the wallet going) and steal the wallet.

* I always take all the important stuff (paper, wallet, keys) with me on the platform because there are some people who would take advantage of your speaking on the platform for an hour by searching your belongings.

------------------
Sharon