FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel Safety Tips
View Single Post
Old May 16, 2003, 9:21 am
SkiAdcock
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Travel Safety Tips

A weekly e-newsletter I get has once each month at the end of the newsletter a different topic asking for input to share. This month's 'topic of the month': safety travel tips.
Thought I'd pass along what's been posted so far. Wasn't certain whether to post it in travelbuzz since input could apply to everyone or here, but decided since the majority of respondants/tipsters were female, I'd post in women travelers. There are a couple of suggestions for men too. Techgirl, feel free to leave here or move.

* Always put room/car keys in the same place so I am never fumbling to findthem.
* Travel w/ a small flash light (to find an exit if there is a loss ofelectricity), and 2 door stops (for hotels w/ no dead bolts, I prop them under the door at night).
* Turn restaurant/bar checks upside down & wait for them to be taken (no one knows my room # to charge a bill or find my room)
* *Never* touch a drink that has left my sight. (Several female friends,while traveling, have had a drug slipped into their drink while it was out of sight).
* When I have to self-park, I check in and take my luggage/handbag to my room, then park the car burden-free.
* *Never* take a room at the end of the hall or where the emergency exit is.(Hiding place for attackers)

When traveling in a "third-world" country (you will know you are in one when you get there) for any length of time, I make it a point to ALWAYS retain the services of a local "guide." This person must be an English- (or French-) speaking local who has lived in the US for some period of time (so
they will understand that you are not as ignorant as you may seem to be in their environment). At a cost of $20-30 per day (with a nice tip on your safe departure), this precaution could save your life and will make your trip more productive and enjoyable.

Two suggestions for hotels:
* Ask for a room near the stairway/elevator so you don't have to make a long trek down the corridor to your room. Notice the location of emergency exit and the relationship to your room the first time you go to your room.
* Travel with a business card-sized flashlight. Place it, your room keys,
wallet or purse and shoes on or near the table next to the bed when you
retire. (Add a wrap if you'd be embarrassed to be seen in your sleeping attire!) Severe storms, earthquakes, fire alarms, and electrical problemshave all triggered evacuation signals in hotels I've stayed in; most of the other folks in the parking lots weren't prepared.

* In airports, don't put your luggage down without maintaining some type of physical contact with it. Put it between your legs or keep one hand touching it. I've seen luggage get stolen right in front me, while witnessing one of those "spill the coffee" scams to distract someone waiting to get their luggage. That taught me.
* Always look like you know where you are going. There is an erect body stance, head poised without confusion, and movements that look like they know where they are going that send a message: I know what I am doing here. Leave me alone. It's deep acting, and you'll also feel more confident --
especially if you are going outdoors at night in an area you know nothing
about.

I have not carried a billfold for years, preferring to fold bills and place
them in my left pants pocket. When going out at night, I will fold bills into 2 rolls, the smaller one with about $20 in it, and the other with the major amount. That way if I reach in my pocket, I can pull out enough to make it worth his while, and still have some left over. Credit cards, license, etc. are placed in a small business card carrier.

I like to walk for exercise. For those times when I get in too late to walk in the daylight, I have identified places in cities that I frequent where I can safely walk after dark. A great example is Olde Town Pasadena. It is about a six-block area that is very busy in the evening. There are valet
parking stands every half-block, outdoor cafes, and lots of security. I can
walk those six blocks, cross the street, and walk back as many times as I want to get the amount of walk-time I crave. Then jump in the rental car or taxi and back to my hotel.

I use a Door Stop Alarm in all my hotel rooms. It is a wedge-shaped door stop with rubber on the bottom to keep from slipping on carpet or tile floors. I use this alarm to block a door from being opened. If anyone triesto open the door, a 125db alarm will sound. There is also a movement sensor
with adjustable sensitivity to activate the alarm if tampered with. An on/off switch allows the alarm to be turned off so that it doesn't go off in your luggage. Requires one 9-volt battery. Costs: $14 on most Web sites
including http://www.personalarms.com . Great investment for peace of mind and small enough to easily pack.

* I provide a close friend or relative with my itinerary (complete details of airline flight numbers, arrival/departure, destinations, 800 number to call, hotel name, dates there, phone/address, rental car info, etc). When I arrive safely to destinations I either make a quick phone call or send an email (even when overseas) to let my contact know all is all right. If they don't hear from me, they have all the info to track me down or turn to the
airline/hotel, etc, in trying to trace me.

* If someone knocks on my door from the hotel and I'm not expecting anyone,
I contact the front desk to confirm who it is before opening the door.

[This message has been edited by SkiAdcock (edited 05-23-2003).]