FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cure Me: You couldn't sleep on long flights, then you found the cure...
Old Jun 14, 2015, 6:18 pm
Tchiowa
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ALittleSurreal
I searched FT, but while learning how others regularly fall asleep on flights is kind of helpful, I need to know how non-sleepers found a cure.

I do a once a year 24 hour travel/16 hours flying time trip. I am awake the entire time.... a lone person, in the dark, in a sea of sleeping people. I arrive a total wreck and greet my excited, talkative, welcoming extended in-law family like a barely-walking zombie.

I have tried:
No caffeine (coffee, soda, chocolate, teas, nothing) 24 hours before flight.
Melatonine
Bringing my own travel pillow and blankie.
Using a travel pillow and a neck pillow.
Tylenol PM

I can't:
Use a window seat, because I get restless leg syndrome being trapped in there. I prefer an aisle seat.
Spend a ton of $$$ on Bose earphones

Do any of you experts- who have had trouble sleeping on long flights- have any suggestions for me? I would be really grateful. My upcoming annual trip is coming up in 2 weeks and I am dreading it. Thank you!
You're going to hate me (many do). I can't stay awake on a plane. The drone of the engines puts me to sleep.

Don't try to sleep if you're not tired. If sleep is important on a long haul flight, splurge for a lie flat seat.