FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Total newbie to AC. Some probably dull questions...
Old Jun 13, 2015, 8:44 am
drvannostren

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by williamn78
Hello!
So I've just landed a job in Canada (from the UK here) and have had to make some last minute flights out there. I'm usually wedded to BA but they were simply double the price of AC! So I'm on AC and have signed up to Aeroplan. I have three probably very basic questions. They may well be answered somewhere here but quite a full search didn't yield results!

So first - I booked via Opodo as it was significantly cheaper but I now see (unlike BA I think) I can't manage my booking via the AC site. I'm keen to get a decent / pay for good seat on the way back. Any way to do this?

Second - I booked a one way flight on Opodo but I now see what it has done is actually book a return I guess in order to get the fare. Will I be penalised in any way for not using the return portion?

Third - is there any likelihood I will be able to pay to upgrade on the way home? Its an 8.40pm flight from YYZ to LHR, midweek.

Anyway, sorry for probably somewhat basic questions, hope you can forgive them!
Hold on...I have follow up questions...

ALL THESE BRITISH PEOPLE COMING TO OUR COUNTRY STEALING OUR JOBS, WE SHOULD BUILD A FENCE

I'm a bit confused by your post though. You can call AC and manage your booking there, the OTA thing yes does limit your ability to changes seats and such online, but you also may have bought a codeshare. When I buy on expedia I can still go on AC and change seats, sometimes it requires me to call though since it might not recognize my status. So you can always call them, select a seat (use seatguru to check what you'd like) then they'll tell you the cost, if there is one, AC has lots of "decent" seats that are free to chose.

You say you got a return fare, but then you say you'll be flying home. Does that mean you tried to buy 2 one-way tickets and ended up getting a return and a 1 way? Or did you actually JUST get a return ticket. Your next question messed me up on that.

EX: If you for some reason have LHR-YYZ-YYC-YYZ-LHR and you skip YYZ-YYC-YYZ, you'll lose the ticket. So be VERY careful and specific as to what you've done here.

If you bought LHR-YYZ-LHR then fly back as planned, and yes you can often upgrade but the prices are insane especially if you have a low fare class, which you likely do. If it's available it'll be offered at check-in (online included).