FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - trip report Majestic Barrière Cannes & Aman Sveti Stefan
Old Jun 12, 2015, 5:06 pm
IB6825

Programs: TK Miles&Smiles Elite, IB Plus Plata
trip report Majestic Barrière Cannes & Aman Sveti Stefan

This will be my very first flyertalk trip report. If you have any suggestions or feedback please let me know so that the next trip report can be even better.

Initially the itinerary was

1 night at Le Majestic Barriere in Cannes
1 night at Portrait Firenze
4 nights at Aman Sveti Stefan
1 night at the Westin in Venice

Due to heavy rain in Florence we skipped Portrait Firenze all together and extended our stay in Cannes for one more night. And because Aman Sveti Stefan is such a lovely place we skipped the Westin in Venice too and stayed 5 nights in total at Aman Sveti Stefan.

Le Majestic Barrière Cannes
I know that none of the Hotels in Cannes are highly regarded here.
But we wanted a hotel close to the airport of Cannes and within walking distance to the restaurants. And as this was initially planned as a short 1 night stay only. That is why we gave the Majestic a chance.

image uploading site

Check-In
We booked a Junior Suite without terrace through our Virtuoso TA and received a Junior Suite with a terrace at Check-In. Overall I thought that Check-In was quite chaotic to say at least. We arrived by taxi and were basically left unattended in the Lobby waiting until one of the receptionists became available. In between we were welcomed by a manager who then took over our Check-in but halfway through she had to leave and somebody else took over to repeat everything in broken German. I must say that she tried hard but this was totally not necessary and just added even more time to the lengthy check-In process.

screen shot on pc

Room
In any other 5 Star Hotel in Asia this room would probably qualify as a a big entry level room. But I guess the Cote d’Azur is different when it comes to that. It had everything one needs but not more. What stood out were the excellent black out curtains. Something I really miss at most hotels. And I also really liked the door in the hallway separating the bathroom and adjacent toilet from the rest of the room. It got very noisy the first night. That is probably a problem in all rooms facing the front of the hotel. Not only because of the street right in front of the Hotel but also because of noise from the outside terrace of both of the hotel’s restaurants.

adult photo sharing

photo upload

windows screenshot

gifs upload

img host

Facilites
I was looking forward to swimming in the pool which actually looks decent on the hotel’s website but in reality is pretty much useless.
The pool is right next to the terrace of both restaurants. So everyone watches you swimming and there are only about 10 deckchairs put very close together with no privacy whatsoever. You also have to walk through the bar or leave the hotel in your swimming trunks in order to get to the pool. Not cool at all in my opinion. Unfortunately all sun loungers were mostly taken or dirty when I wanted to make use of them. Included in the Virtuoso rate are also the sun loungers at the beach club which is just across the road. The sun loungers on the pier and in the first row are not included in the Virtuoso benefits. What I anyway don’t get is why one needs to pay for sun loungers at a hotel at all if one stays at at the hotel and pays almost 1000 Euros a night. But that is the Cote d’Azur again I guess. Service at the pool and at the beach is almost non existent. Nobody ever asked us if we wanted something. We always had to get their attention was it for a drink, some food or just a towel. That is in my opinion the general service approach at this hotel. If you want something you have to ask them. We sat at the restaruant at the beach for at least 10 minutes with no one ever asking us if we want something but I saw at least 5 employees walking around clearing tables or setting new tables up.

photo upload

upload img

Food/Beverage
Included with Virtuoso was also a 90 Euro or something credit for food which we used at Fouqet’s right after arrival. In a nutshell when you read their menu you would think "Wow impressive" but once you get the food its pretty much tasteless. Not a place I would ever eat again. I liked breakfast though.

free photo hosting

upload gifs

Service
As I already mentioned service at this hotel is a problem. Its not so much the attitude but I got the impression that they simply believe that they don’t have to give you good service because someone will always stay at the hotel no matter what. On many occasions we had to ask for drinks, menus, towels and so on. Two things that really made me mad were when we decided to skip Florencel I called the front desk to extend our stay only to be told that I should call back later because everyone is busy with check out’s. I mean why do you bother picking up the phone if you can’t help anyway? And the day before departure I asked the Concierge if he could organize us bottled water, sandwiches and fruit to eat on our way to Montenegro. I was told to call room service just before we leave. So the next day with a different concierge. Same story but this time he just handed me the telephone and dialed room service for me. Maybe I don’t know what a concierge is but I wanted to explain to him in person what I wanted and not over the phone in order to avoid any confusion.

Overall thoughts
Not a place I would stay again simply because there isn’t anything that stood out. For a holiday there are not enough facilities. Pool is not great and the beach in Cannes is not worthwhile either. For business I think the hotel is overpriced. Especially when you think about the lack of service. You might as well stay at the Radisson Blu. What was nice though is that they remembered my birthday which was a few days before we stayed at the hotel. I received a nice chocolate cake and a bottle of Champagne.

We also had to print a few documents. We sent them from our E-Mail account to the Concierge. Shortly afterwards we received them in an envelope printed on draft paper. Looked like a list of people attending a Chanel event the night before including Karl Lagerfeld and Diane Kruger. Not very professional.

image hosting free

And the hotel’s website is an absolute pain. Nowhere do they display an
E-Mail address. There is a form that you can fill in and send to the hotel. Once I filled everything in an pressed send it just says “please call the hotel”. Such things really make me mad.

We also ate at La Palme d’or at the Grand Hyatt. Service there was impeccable and the food simply divine.

image hosting 30 mb

img host

image hosting 12mb

free screenshot software

adult image upload

screenshot on pc

pic host

photos upload

photoupload

upload pictures free

Last edited by IB6825; Jun 13, 2015 at 1:39 pm