FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA 242 MEX/LHR, 1155pm departure, is F worth it?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:01 pm
AA_EXP09
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by ValueAdd82
Hey all, my wife and I are headed to Finland from Oklahoma City in mid September. We have an itinerary on hold with AA that includes BA 242 on Sept 10, MEX > LHR, depart at 1155pm and arrive around 430pm. 125k AA miles + $1000 in fees.

I'm second guessing booking the itinerary for a few reasons, and I'd like some comments if you have them.

1) No lounge access in MEX.

The flight leaves so late that all the lounges will be closed by the time our connecting flight from DFW arrives, leaving us little to do for the 3 hour layover and no way to get a good meal before the late boarding. I've read the lounges there aren't too great, but this will be my first lounge experience, and I was looking forward to it.

2) Meal service on a late flight..?

Here's where I'd like some input. From my experience in AA F, I'm imagining more limited options and more rushed service as most people in the cabin will want to get to sleep. I've heard the breakfast options aren't so great, but I could be wrong there. Half of what we'd be looking forward to in F is the eating/drinking, and I'm not sure we'd be able to take full advantage on this flight.

3) Late arrival in LHR / quick connection to Finland flight

A 430pm arrival into LHR means that the Arrivals lounge will be closed, which is something else I was looking forward to. The Finland flight leaves around 630pm, so I'm guessing that would leave us fairly minimal time to enjoy any other lounges too.

What thoughts / comments do people have? Should I go ahead and book this one, or hold out and hope that something else opens up between now and mid September?
If I were you, I would hold out for AA Z space TATL.