FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Colombia dental tourism
View Single Post
Old Jun 9, 15, 7:39 am
IT_Architect

Originally Posted by coolcoil View Post
Technically, that is not quite true. There was a doctor in Bogota who pioneered the surgical removal of thin slices of the cornea to correct eyesight, but he was doing that work many decades before there were lasers that could do the job.
True. Barraquer's invention was surgically reshaping the cornea to improve vision. LASIK describes a refined process to implement it, and was not developed in Colombia.

My crown cost COP $600,000 (about USD $230). That was at a dentist in a small town outside Medellin. I assume it would be a bit more costly in Bogota. I'm very happy with the results. Whether it is worth it to you to make the trip is up to you to decide. Unless you can find a dentist that can make the crown the same day, it would typically require you to stay for some period.
A crown with core buildup where I live costs $1200, and that is about a cheap as it gets in the US. It would simply be a side benefit of the trip. The end game is to work in an orphange. The lady who came from Australia for dental work was there to get a lot more done than a crown, and she could speak Spanish.

Unless you can find a dentist that can make the crown the same day, it would typically require you to stay for some period.
I've been thinking about that. What I wonder about is if the quality of the crown is as good when they have the machines in-house to make the crown, or if better quality is received when you have it made somewhere, where they can afford to invest in higher quality equipment, and making crowns is their only passion. Another is, even if the trip were scheduled with enough time, we both know that being on time is not a common Colombian trait.