FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)
Old Jun 8, 2015, 5:27 am
gutenmorgan

Haven't seen this particular scenario yet but am sure it's come up, maybe someone has a strategy that works:

If I want to book the initial segment of a JFK-NRT-CGK 2-ticket award at the 331 day out mark (F in segment 1, B in segment 2, with an overnight but less than 24 hour connection in Tokyo), is there any way to do this without incurring a change fee to change destination when I then call a day later to tack on the second segment?

Jal has good F availability on the first segment but with 2 tickets and a relatively inflexible scheduling window, things feel a bit competitive.

Perhaps if I don't book but only "hold" the first segment I can tack on the second segment without incurring a $150 charge? Or don't they distinguish?

EDIT: Or maybe it comes down to a choice between (i) risking no F availability on segment 1 and booking both segments at the same time a day later, (ii) grabbing the first segment as soon as it becomes available and paying $150 to change the award destination when I grab the second and, (iii) since the second segment is business only, paying an additional 25k in miles to book this as two completely separate award tickets, thus also freeing us up from the 24 hour connection restriction in Tokyo?

Last edited by gutenmorgan; Jun 8, 2015 at 6:05 am