FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)
Old Jun 2, 2015, 11:54 am
Clay Clayton

Upgrading an already booked award ticket?

Ok, so I admit I should have done my homework beforehand....but I didn't. Using AAdvantage points, I just booked a one way award from Budapest to Houston via London on BA in business. I failed to realize that we wouldn't be able to get advanced seat assignments (no OneWorld status) without paying additional fees. While I was doing research to determine if I should pay for advanced seating, I looked to see just how bad the worst seat could be. It was then that I discovered that generally speaking BA gets pretty poor marks for their Biz class on the 777. So my questions:
1. Can I (without paying a fee and presuming they are available) change my reservation to First class?
2. Do you more experienced flyers think it is worth the additional 12,500 points to do so?
3. Lastly, if AA opens up seats on their metal at the same award level in the future, can I change to them and have the fuel supplements credited back?

TIA