FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA, Houston (IAH) - Johannesburg (JNB) $793.36 RT, 18,040 miles
Old May 31, 2015, 5:25 pm
aztimm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Deltahater
There are also other places near JNB that BA serves at a pretty decent rate. CPT, WDH, LVI, etc.

No visa required for US citizens in ZA, but if you travel with kids, read the new ZA law effective 6/1/2015. It's a cluster.....
Originally Posted by aglp2k
Nope. Just ensure that you have two blank pages in your passport.

Sweeten deal if you can use AARP and Chase VISA 10% discount.
Thanks again for sharing this deal! This is one (of the many) reasons I love Flyertalk! I thought I'd just do another run to Seoul this fall, but Johannesburg will definitely work for me.

I just booked, with a separate US booking PHX-IAH, with healthy connections on either side (2-1/2 hours, and 4 hours). Currently US and BA are in separate terminals at IAH; by Nov they might be together. But I should have sufficient time to deal with drama if I need to.
No matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't get any sites to book it all as a single itinerary, without adding $200+ to the price.

Unfortunately--or perhaps fortunately--I don't yet qualify for AARP. But believe me, the day I can, I will apply for it.

I have a rather new passport with plenty of space, at least 3 sets of 2-across pages empty, plus a few random singles. I don't know why some places stamp on a random page toward the end of the book, while others will all stamp together. Traveling solo, so don't need to worry about kids.

I'll have most of a day free in London on the way over. If the weather is decent, I'll go into town (I've been many times, and actually have an Oyster card with money still on it). Otherwise, I'll hang out at a lounge or 2 at LHR. There are left luggage places at LHR (T2-3-4-5) for GBP 10/day.

What helped sweeten the deal more is Hilton is doing a, "summer sale," and I got a decent rate at the Hilton Sandton.

If anyone else is considering this, please shoot me a PM and I'll share the details I booked. Years ago, it seemed FT'ers on MR's made up almost half the plane on a SFO-FRA flight ^