FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Portland, ME - where to stay?
View Single Post
Old May 31, 2015, 4:09 pm
PWMTrav

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
What is the construction at the Hyatt Place like? The ones I've been to in the past (in Austin TX and Charlottesville PA) were virtually identical - that is to say that while the setup / space was solid, the new construction seemed a bit on the cheap side (the walls are very thin - we heard the next-door neighbors enjoying each other's company, if you catch my drift), and there was absolutely no differentiating factor between the hotels - had a very cookie-cutter feel to it. If this is different, I wouldn't mind, but I have different feelings about spending $350+/night vs. the ~$125/night I spent at those other locations.
Keep in mind you're coming to Portland at the peak of tourist season. Price out any decent hotel in the Old Port and you're going to be in the same price range. $350 at the HP Old Port vs $125 HP Wherever isn't the comparison. This same HP is $90-120 in the off-season. Have a look at what the HGI, Westin, Portland Harbor, Hampton Inn and Marriott properties are going for and they're going to be a bit higher as well. However, as a Hyatt Cat 3 hotel (used to be Cat 2, RIP), the HP is a good value and has very good availability.

The construction quality is the same as any other new construction (not renovated Amerisuites) HP. I'm local, but we've done a few weekends at this property, haven't heard our neighbors. What I will say is that you WILL hear some noise from the bars if you're facing Fore Street, since the windows aren't soundproof, but I haven't minded (and it's not kept my 3 year old awake). But since you mentioned noise, it's worth mentioning that.

If you want to go higher end, the Portland Harbor Hotel is across the street and a nice place. However, I prefer the HP for the balcony rooms, or the Westin for the rooftop bar.

Portland doesn't have a true high end property in the Old Port. Everyone is going to have the following in common: Mid-range with a decent but not spectacular breakfast, no destination restaurant on the property, somewhat expensive parking ($18-25/day), and a good location (since the Old Port is small). Therefore, the decision really comes down to brand loyalty, if any, price and room features.

When I was blogging more steadily, I wrote up a review of the HP Old Port: https://saverocity.com/arewethereyet...rtland-review/

I'm going through to see if I have any pics of the other hotels. I know we've stayed at them.